From Ilia Iourovitski <iiou...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cornerstone questions
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:31:38 GMT

NIO requires reactor pattern. It would be nice to have from ACE.
Thanks,
Ilia
 Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:53, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:24, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> >>Hello folks,
> >>
> >>I've two questions concerning Cornerstone:
> >>
> >>There is no way to download it except via cvs.
> >
> > yep.
>
> How about building nightlies? Anyway, a release would be nice, even if
> only an alpha or beta release. But we need some defined version of
> cornerstone. It seems to be fairly stable in production use.

You can grab nightlies for cornerstone from

http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon

It would be good to do a release and most of it is stable (and has been in
production for ~3 years). Some is not and we would have to extract it out. It
just takes time that no one has gotten around to doing it yet ;)

> >>2. Cornerstone has a DefaultChannelManager, which apparently uses the
> >>new java.nio classes to provide non-blocking IO. How do I use it? Is it
> >>possible to use it with the DefaultConnectionManager?
> >
> > There is no equivelent to DefaultConnectionManager for NIO at this stage.
> > ATM the ChannelManager just abstracts creating channels.
>
> Is this meant to be used in some way or is it just "work in progress"?

No idea. I believe NIO would lead to different design patterns and thus
ConnectionManager is probably not appropriate - more likely you would want a
single-threaded or event driven architecture.

I am not sure how uptodate cornerstone.silk is - you may want to ask Berin as
he was the author of it.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald