From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Conversion of the Phoenix documentation to Forrest
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:25:18 GMT
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:41, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > In these days I've converted the Phoenix documentation to Forrest format
> > http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ , by making xsl stylesheets (that BTW
> > Pete seems to have used for the Avalon Framework stuff before than me ;-)

Nah - A-F was in document 1.0 format so hacked together a 1.0 -> 1.1
stylehseet.

> I committed the Phoenix docs in Forrest format in the Phoenix CVS, and
> changed the build file and tools to support the new doc system.
>
> I have tested the site, site-all, announcement targets but not yet the
> dist targets because I have speed problems with my internet connection
> at home and I'm having a hard time in downloading MX4J; I'll test them
> tomorrow.
>
> If anyone has the opportunity to give it a test please report and I'll
> fix it ASAP.

ATM several of the pages don't validate and thus the docs don't build. I will
look into fixing it.

> The docs use a new avalon-tigris skin that Peter Donald has submitted to
> Forrest.
>
> If you are ok with this version, I can regenerate the site and put it up
> live, after fixing a bug there seems to be in the <code> tag handling,

the tigris skin also has some problems handling non-selected tab elements. It
is just a css issue than needs to be fixed I assume but I haven't gotten back
to it. There is also an issue in the way that menu items are highlighted.
Sometimes multiple get highlighted - not sure about why but will have to fix
it somehow.

> after adding a link to every page for PDF files,

I would prefer not. I eventually plan to move towards uber docbook docs with
one pdf per "book" and I don't think there is any significant advantage in
duplicating the html content as pdf at this stage.

> The sources to change are in ./build/webapp, you will need to synch them
> with the actual docs manually.

Is there anyways to update the jetty integration so this is not required - as
thats precisely the reason I avoid using it.

> There is a broken link in getting-started.xml:
>
> "
> Firstly you will need to get the demo-helloword.sar file and drop it
> into the apps directory of Phoenix.
> Get it from <link href="TODO">TODO</link>

Will fix.

Thanks for doing that!

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.  Those of us who
 aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might
 think we're stupid." -- Jules Feiffer