From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Breaking up Avalon
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:51:32 GMT
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:17, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had hoped that it would not get to this point but unfortunately that
> > does not seem to be the case. However it looks like the best thing for
> > all parties involved is to break up Avalon into different projects. One
> > of the first things I am going to propose is the graduation of Phoenix
> > and related infrastructure to a new top level project.
>
> I don't know about all the problems you mentioned, I only subscribe to
> this list and it has always been very helpful and friendly. I think you
> should clearly identify the lists that you think are becoming
> ineffective - certainly you don't mean this one?

This list (or where it moves to) will most likely be more active in the future
with a lot more focus. And there will be a lot more development that takes
place on this (where now it can occur on the avalon-dev list aswell). So we
are only going to get a better environment IMO.

> Regardless, what you describe seem to be interpersonal problems between
> certain individuals. Would you mind explaining precisely why a promotion
> of Phoenix to a TLP would solve these socially motivated problems?

Because those same individuals have vote and commit privlidges on phoenix. And
thus people who have never participated in the development of Phoenix can
block changes in phoenix if it conflicts or competes with their pet toolkit
(this has happened in the past and will happen again if we stay). Progressing
to a TLP essentially removes that risk.

> I'm not for or against your proposal (and have no vote anyway), I just
> would like to understand it :)

It will basically give Phoenix a lot more exposure and give the Phoenix
developers a lot more room to do what needs to be done to make sure Phoenix
continues to provide a good "user" experience and all that ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Whatever you do will be insignificant,
but it is very important that you do it.
                              --Gandhi