From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Customizable ClassLoader trees
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 02:43:15 GMT
On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:01, Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
> my OpenEJB block uses a similar hirarchical
> classloader system. because i did the classloader
> by myself as a part of my iChilli app server
> i am configuring the classloaders within the
> block's config.xml file.
>
> additionally the iChilli app server that i
> am currently developing starts several servers
> (a web container, an ejb container, a jms server etc.)

sounds neat. I went and had a look at ichiili.sourceforge.net but it does not
seem to have a lot in CVS that can be twiddled with at this stage.

> because a ejb container needs to now when a
> content of a specific directory will change
> it is possible to add a <monitored>true</monitored>
> flag to a specific classloader. that enables
> a server (ex.: openejb) to register itself
> as a ClassLoaderListener. that way a ClassLoader
> will deliver added/deleted/changed events to
> the appropriate server.

cool. BTW you may want to have a look at jakarta-avalon-excalibur/monitor +
jakarta-avalon-phoenix/src/java/org/apache/avalon/phoenix/components/monitor
that does a similar thing. The excalibur classes are a generic monitoring
toolkit while the phoenix ones monitor deploy directorys and redeploy on
changes.

> allthough as i said i created this classloader
> systems a couple of weeks ago and i did it within
> three days, so i didn't test every possible
> scenario that could occure while using the
> classloaders.
>
> if you want i can send u my configuration files
> and some UML digrams that illustrate what i have
> described above.

that would be great.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Therefore it can be said that victorious warriors
win first, and then go to battle, while defeated
warriors go to battle first, and then seek to win."
              - Sun Tzu, the Art Of War