From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help with Phoenix -
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:52:45 GMT
Hi Howard,

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 10:56, Howard Henson wrote:
> I couldn't find any link on the web site (other than this) to try and
> contact the phoenix development team, if I need to use a diffent mail
> address just let me know.
>
> I am trying to write a web application running inside of phoenix and have
> hit a problem, that is:
> I want to call my services from within a servlet, I have installed jo! and I
> can't see how to call a service generically. Without remote deploying my
> application is there any simple solution to this?

the short answer: no.

The easiest thing to do is go through either RMI or AltRMI
(http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/altrmi).

> I would have assumed there would have been some sort of service registry
> which I could get my hands on via a static factory method, from which I
> could reference the service I was looking for.

Nope. The base of the problem is in jo! not really knowing it runs in
phoenix, so things you run in jo! can't access things in phoenix
directly:

| Phoenix                              |
| -----------------  ----------------- |
| | YourComponent |<-| ServletEngine | |
| -----------------  |      ^        | |
|                    |      |        | |
|                    | -----------   | |
| -----------------  | | Servlet |   | |

an arrow means 'can get reference to'. The servlet can't get a reference
to YourComponent or AComponent because the ServletEngine doesn't pass on
the reference (which it _can_ get) on to the servlet.

If you want to go central-registry-style, your best bet is probably to
use JNDI.

regards,

Leo Simons