From "mati" <m...@ncdc.pl>
Subject Re: How to enable console logging in Phoenix
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:21:48 GMT

> <logs version="1.1">
> <!--+ FACTORIES
>       +   Factories define various types of output targets for log
> messages
>       +-->
> <factories>
> <factory type="stream"
> class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.factory.StreamTargetFactory"/ >
> </factories>
> <!--+ TARGETS
>       +   Targets are named destinations of log events. Tag names for
> child
>       +   elements, such as 'file' or 'screen', correspond to factory
> types above.
>       +-->
> <targets>
> <!-- Outputs events to the screen. -->
> <stream id="sout">
>                  <stream>System.out</stream>
> <format type="avalon">%8.8{priority} %{time:(yyyy-MM-dd)
> HH:mm.ss:SSS} [%8.8{category}] (%{thread}) %{class:short}:
> %{message}\n%{throwable}</format>
> </stream>
> </targets>
> <!--+ CATEGORIES
>       +   Categories are named sinks for the application to output
> events to.
>       +   First level category names correspond to block names in
> assembly.xml.
>       +
>       +   Each category has an attribute named log-level that
> controls the severity
>       +   of messages to records. Valid severities are:
>       +     DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, FATAL_ERROR
>       +
>       +   Each category can have children of other categories, and
> log-target elements
>       +   log-target elements have an id-ref attribute that
> references the id of a target
>       +   in the targets section.
>       +-->
> <categories>
> <!-- anything that doesn't fit into the above categories falls into
> here -->
> <category name="" log-level="DEBUG">
>                  <log-target id-ref="sout"/>
> </category>
> </categories>
> </logs>

I am trying to log to two targets at the same time and it fails. It just
logs to one or another. Here is sample conf:

<factories>
    <factory type="file"
class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.factory.FileTargetFactory"/>
    <factory type="stream"
class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.factory.StreamTargetFactory"/>
</factories>

<categories>

<category name="model-runner" log-level="DEBUG">
    <log-target id-ref="model-runner-target"/>
</category>

<category name="model-runner" log-level="INFO">
<log-target id-ref="model-runner-target-info"/>
</category>

</categories>

<targets>

<file id="model-runner-target">
    <filename>${app.home}/logs/model-runner.log</filename>
    <format>%{time:dd/MM/yy HH:mm:ss} %5.5{priority} %{category}:
%{message}\n%{throwable}    </format>
    <append>true</append>
</file>

<stream id="model-runner-target-info">
    <stream>System.out</stream>
    <format type="avalon">%{time: HH:mm.ss:SSS} %{class:short}: %{message}
\n</format>
</stream>
</targets>

And it doesn't seem to work out

Could somebody help me solve this so that it is logged to console and to
file.

Is it even possible to use two targets at the same time

Mateusz Szczap
mati@ncdc.pl