From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: staged deployment
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:11:47 GMT
On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 08:41  PM, Mike Salisbury wrote:
> I've got a problem with the bootstrapping sequence
> used in Phoenix.  There are several layers to my
> application, the bottom of which is a message
> transport layer.  I want the higher layers to use the
> transport layer during their initialization.

How are you currently utilizing block dependencies and the
Initializable interface?

I would do two things:

1) Make each block implement Initializable and perform all init in
there. Don't exit the method until you are initialized.

2) Make each upper-layer block have a dependency upon lower-layer
blocks that it needs. This can be stacked. So 1 depends on 2 which
depends on 3. You don't need a direct dependency between 1 and 3.

If this is all old-hat and you're already doing it, I apologize.
Otherwise, does it make sense? Is it similar to how you are currently
implementing things?
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org