From Igor Fedorenko <ifedore...@thinkdynamics.com>
Subject Re: Block context as shared source of block related information
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:09:14 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking through this and I can't quite decide what my opinion is
> ;)
>
> By doing it the way that you describe you are essentially defining the
> applications environment by parts of the application. ie So the
> SecurityManager is just a Block as is the TransactionManager and so forth.
>
> Whereas currently the "parent" container (in our case the Application) defines
> the "environment" (ie ClassLoader, Thread names, policy, loggers etc).
> Personally I tend to favour this approach but I can see the advantage of
> allowing the "environment" to be part of the application rather than part of
> the Container.
Not necessary. We can introduce additional configuration layer between
the container and the application which will define context
contributors, interceptors and other optional container services.
Applications will declare which additional services they depend on and
deployers will make sure that all requirements are met. We can even have
per-component (a.k.a block) containter configuration although I am not
sure that it is necessary if we allow inter-sar communication.

> What I would really like to see is an experiment to see which way works
> better. So maybe it would be good to just see it in code and then we can
> decide whether it is the right way to do things?
Take a look at JBoss. It has different container configuration for
different types of EJBs and target deployment environment (deploying CMP
beans into oracle is different from db2).

> The difficult part will be that being a ContextContributor essentially adds a
> new layer of dependencies. For example, assume a SecurityInterceptor (SI)
> requires a SecurityManager (SM). The SM can not depend on any block
> transitively (sp?) that uses the SI as part of it's interceptor chain.
> Actually coding this up is going to be fairly painful.
>
> I dunno. Maybe we just see how it looks in code?
Sure. What exactly do you want to see, part that supports context
contributors in phoenix (this was surprisingly big change due to current
DefaultApplication/BlockEntry implementation), usage of context
contributors in some test app or both?

--
Igor Fedorenko
Think smart. Think automated. Think Dynamics.