From Igor Fedorenko <ifedore...@thinkdynamics.com>
Subject Block context as shared source of block related information
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:23:05 GMT
Hi,

Interceptors and other stuff I am working on right now need extensible
way to associate block with context information. For example, security
infrastructure needs block's "security info", management needs block's
"mx info" and so on. This has been already discussed (see
"[Interceptors] Definition and basic use cases" thread) but I did not
have time to implement it. As I finally have to do it I want to
reiterate the idea to get some feedback from phoenix developers.

Scope of context data.
Application: same key/value pairs for all blocks. Example would be
application home directory and name.
Block: key/value pairs are specific to a particular block instance.
Examples: block metadata, mxinfo, security info and so on.
Invocation: different key/value pairs for each invocation. Examples are
thread's transaction and security contexts.

Context data layout.
Application will have single application context instance (not sure if
it is the same as ApplicationContext). For each block there is going to
be one block context object with application context as a parent. To
avoid confusion all application and block specific keys must be unique.
Invocation context will be created by BlockInvocationHandler for each
invocation and will keep a reference to block's context. Invocation
context will be passed as parameter to Interceptor.invoke call (see bug
12405) and will be available as thread local to the blocks.

Population block context with data.
Application and block contexts will be populated by ContextContributors
defined as

     public interface ContextContributor
     {
         void contribute(ContextImpl context);
     }

ContextImpl is a subclass of DefaultContext that enforces key uniqueness.

In assembly.xml context contributor will be specified with the following
tags

     <!ELEMENT context-contributor EMPTY>
     <!ATTLIST context-contributor
               class CDATA               #REQUIRED
               scope (application|block) #REQUIRED>

Invocation context will be populated by interceptors.

--
Igor Fedorenko
Think smart. Think automated. Think Dynamics.