From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: an apology
Date Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:49:34 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>it has been brought to my attention I have been overstepping some moral
>guidelines of The Apache Way with regard to voting (among other things)
>behaviour. I'd like to apologize for that and hope there's not too many
>harsh feelings. I'm still learning the ropes, as I think the saying
>goes... :)

Sorry Leo - I can't accept an apology when there's nothing to apologize
about. I haven't seen anything improper in your actions - in fact it's
quite the opposite - I'm not the only one who holds you high esteem.
Whatever you do - don't change!!

On more practical matters - the much discussed "Apache Way" (refer reorg
list discussions) is somewhere between myth and reality and heavily
biased by whoever is telling you the story. This has evidenced by many
of the messages posted to the reorg list. It appears to me that the
"Apache Way" is much more in the minds of the Apache members that have
been here longer - something more of a culture - and progressively
documented. Unfortunately the documentation that does exist leaves lots
of holes which assume pragmatic management via something called a PMC.
In the Avalon case that context should be coming from the Jakarta PMC
however the relationship between Jakarta and Avalon is much more a case
of casual observation. The direction discussed on the reorg list directly
addresses this issue across the whole of Apache by pushing responsibility
and accountability down to projects such as Avalon - challenging us to take
responsibility for evolution, process and content generated by the Avalon
project - and embracing accountability towards the Avalon community and
the Apache Board. This means a potential future based on open and
responsible management under an Avalon PMC - something that I really hope
will come together with the direct participation of people like yourself -
people concerned about the Avalon community, our development, and the
quality of the products we produce.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Steve.

>cheers,