From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Possible JMX-related Bug
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:05:06 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> However you can do the equivelent sort of thing in phoenix by adding xdoclet
> tags to source file and processing the source files to produce .mxinfo files.
> These .mxinfo files will work on all MBean servers and you can see the
> documentation at
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix/mx/index.html

Wow, docs... *salivate* ;-)

I think I understand how this is supposed to work, but have a few
high-level questions:

1. Basically, there are two possibilities: tagging the source or writing
the .mxinfo file by hand. Wouldn't it be strategically better to do the
latter, as these .mxinfo files could be used outside of Phoenix? I
introduce a Phoenix-dependency (or maybe only a xdoclet-dependency?)
when I use the (admittedly more comfortable) source tagging. OTOH my
apps are Phoenix-dependent anyway... any other strategic issues to consider?

2. Currently I use a MyClassMBean class with interfaces, which are
implemented by MyClassImpl. Apparently this is now the "old" way to do
JMX, does that mean by using the new way I can get rid of the
MyClassMBean class entirely?

3. Where to put the .mxinfo file in the SAR I build? In SAR-INF, next to
config.xml et. al.?

thanks in advance,

Ulrich

--