From Leif Mortenson <l...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 02:15:36 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:11, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
>

>>Paul Hammant wrote:
>>

>>>That said, I've committed neither as some discussion should take place
>>>(my opinion is one of many).
>>>

>>What do Windows users usually want to do? Browse the file system and
>>double click on start/stop files or use the command prompt and call a
>>script with parameters, or perhaps both?
>>
>>I would guess most people would say click on files...
>>

>To start a service they usually go to the Service Console and start it from
>there. At least thats what I have noticed (though my windows usage is
>minimal).

Actually, I always use the net start/stop commands.  It is way too many
steps to go all the way into
the control panel's services panel.

As for the concerns about multiple versions of Phoenix on the same
machine.  That can be
enabled by changing the wrapper.ntservice.name property in the
wrapper.conf file.  This name
is used to register the service.  It is what will show up in the service
control panel. And is also
the name that can be used from the net start/stop commands.   I think
the default name should
simply be Phoenix.  But it is easy for developers to change it when they
need to run multiple
copies.
When James updates to this version, they would want to change the
wrapper.ntservice.name
to James for example.  This way users would see "James" in the Services
control panel and
be able to start and stop the service from the command line using "net
start James" and
"net stop James"

Cheers,
Leif