From Johan Sjöberg <johan.sjob...@avaintec.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:04:22 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

>> Attached is an example of this... would it work for you? It surely
>> needs some polishing before a release though, but could be a start ;)
>

> Actually having looked at your and Lief's, I think Leif's are better....
>
> Reason : I don't think we should have 'net start phoenix' in batch
> files.  It could be that anoother phoenix has already been installed and
> that we don't want to run that one.  I think users should get used to
> doing 'net start phoenix' and 'net stop phoenix' themselves rather than
> relying on convenience batch files.  Lief's also have some separation
> between the modes of operation of phoenix.

Paul,
come on. That file is something I used for testing an installed
Phoenix... no environment checks or anything.

About the net stops/starts:

I used a name like Phoenix-4.x.x both for the default installation
directory and the NT service name. This means that several phoenixes can
be installed at the same time when updating. I had links in the start
menu (in a subdir with version info) for starting and stopping them. To
test this I made that little script.

It could be discussed if some update system should be used instead of
installing in different directories and using different service names,
but as that is more difficult I didn't want to start with that.

> Another thing we need to decide is if wrapper.exe|dll|jar should be in
> the bin dir or in bin/lib.

I have updated dist-lite-wrapper (and some other tasks) locally to
download the wrapper files and copy them to:
bin/Wrapper.exe
bin/wrapper-linux
(bin/wrapper-solaris)
bin/lib/wrapper.jar
bin/lib/native/linux/libwrapper.so
(bin/lib/native/solaris/libwrapper.so)
bin/lib/native/win32/Wrapper.dll

I can send the diffs if you would like to take a look. This is just one
way to handle the different wrapper versions. Personally I'm not too
happy about the wrapper-linux and wrapper-solaris filenames, but it
could work.

As this layout only works with same versions of all the wrapper distros,
I have commented out the solaris one. Hopefully Leif will get a Solaris
box to compile on soon.

//
Johan