From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject Logging in Phoenix
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:16:07 GMT
Hi,

a few questions related to logging in Phoenix:

1. what is the recommended way of enabling logging in classes that do
not extend AbstractLogEnabled,
eg in helper type classes that do not necessarily fit into the Avalon
framework?
One way I would see is to pass the Logger in the Context - provided the
helper class is Contextualizable.
Any other hints or best practices?  What if one wishes to not implement
Contextualizable, ie the helper
class is part of a different jar and one wants to keep separate from the
Avalon framework?

2. I assume that the default logger is Avalon Logkit.  I read it is
possible to use other loggers, such as log4j or
JDK1.4, but have not found the information on how to configure Phoenix
to use these loggers.
Does it work in a similar manner to commons-logging, ie one needs to set
a sysproperty?

3. logs version 1.1 vs 1.0:  it seems that 1.1 uses the Excalibur Logger
only for configuration, but still uses
LogKit for logging.  Again, can this configuration be used with other
loggers, such as log4j?
Is 1.1 the recommended version?

4. Log4j vs LogKit:  can anybody point me to some documentation (if any)
that compares the two and
discusses their merits?  Not very clear to me what one offers over the
other.

Thanks,
Mauro