From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Phoenix and the Web
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 11:59:06 GMT
Peter Royal wrote:

> wrt the Block vs SAR, I would like to have a way to have dependencies
> between SARs. It could be thought of as a Phoenix-in-Phoenix, just
> moving up one level from Block and App to App and Partition (or some
> other word).

This breaks IoC again :)

IoC is not a virtue by itself, it has a distinct purpose. It is, amongst
other things, a design pattern that should prevent complexity by
offering one-way interfaces. If there is a single, defined way to use a
component, then it is much easier to maintain these interfaces across
versions. Think of SAP hell, if you wonder what happens when there are
too many interfaces :)

> With CatalinaSevak running as a SAR, I would like to be able to deploy
> multiple other SARs in a single Phoenix instance that deploy a UI via a
> WAR using Sevak. I would follow Paul's thoughts on communication, using
> AltRMI or the like so that for scalability the SAR could be deployed in
> a remote phoenix instance.

A SAR can already deploy and undeploy other SARs, but it has to use the
defined interface (JMX) and be aware of security issues. I cannot fathom
why a SAR deploying other SARs is useful in any way, but there is an
interface out there that allows it. Why not use it instead of developing
a new one? If the existing interface is not good enough, then let's
improve it :)

cheers,

Ulrich

--