From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix and the Web
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 06:41:54 GMT
Daniel, Ulrich,

My take is that the Sevak interface (multihost or not) should provide
essentially two methods for other blocks :

  deploy(host, context, WarFile-Or-War-Directory)
  undeploy(host, context)

If web applications hosted inside the particular Sevak impl need to
access any other services hosted in the same JVM (blocks etc), they must
do it via RMI/AltRMI or JNDI.  That thing will be a narowed servce like
"StockQuoteFacade"

If the Sevak impl needs to avail of other blocks itself, then it should
be written or rewrapped as a Servicable block and use service(..) to
lookup the required components.

Given that we are wrapping all three containers, we know they are doing
some dirty un-IoC stuff in their own impementation.  We can;t control
that, and just have to live with it.  We can however not encourage
futher damage, by limiting what the container exposes to other blocks.

On the subject of the management webapp or other applications deployed
with Catalina, perhaps they should be taken out of the default
Sevak-Catalina impl and put into an alternativel block called
AdministratableCatalinaSevak or somesuch.  It extends CatalinaSevak.
 The assembler chooses which one they deploy.

Thoughs?

Regards,

- Paul