From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Phoenix and the Web
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:41:17 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> ...I'm not too familiar with ajp. IIRC I didn't like it because it
> made too many assumptions and used strings/chars.....but that was
> when the world still used JServ....it sounds like the sensible
> way too go....
>
> I'd like to see it :)

The problem I have with this approach is that there seems to be no sensible Java
API (similar to the Servlet API) to manipulate incoming requests and outgoing
Phoenix, we want it to be OO.

> Avalon-based http 1.1 implementation is high on the would-like-
> to-see-but-no-itch-to-develop list for I suspect quite a few
> people.
>
> There's quite a few http impls in java available to rip off of course
> (one I know of is coyote)

Again I have the "missing API" problem here. Suppose we have an HTTP component,
then how are we going to use it? We could either implement the whole Servlet API
on top of it (yuck) or do something proprietary. Like maybe this:

if (uri.equals("/what/ever")) doThis();
else if (uri.equals("/what/else")) doThat();
else doSomethingElse();

It's not the way we want to work in Phoenix :)

> 7) probably the coolest is writing an avalon+event-based http
> implementation from scratch that beats everything else wrt speed,
> architecture, and pluggability.

Develop an Avalon-specific API for HTTP thereby blowing the Servlet API out of
the water?

> 8) roll-your-own protocol and apache httpd module
> (one thing I found out recently: modules are easy =)
> 9) run java within PHP within apache and have that talk to phoenix
> over AltRMI
> 10) run java within Python (mod_snake) within apache and have that
> talk to phoenix over AltRMI
> 11) rip apart axis and run it inside phoenix, then have it
> accept calls from IIS.Net
> 12) run phoenix inside Jboss and map requests from Jetty to phoenix
> through Jboss's JMX kernel (I think it still works that way?)

8-12: Please not :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring