From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible JMX-related Bug
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:05:07 GMT
Hi Ulrich,

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:56, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> in MX4J there is a feature where you can define a *MBeanDescription
> class, which contains additional information for display on the
> management console. The process is detailed at
> http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/docs/bk01ch02.html#d0e190
>
> Unfortunately that feature doesn't work with Phoenix and I suspect it
> may be a classloader issue. Here's what the MX4J developer Simone Bordet
> says to how the MBeanDescription class is located:
>
> Maybe there is something wrong in Phoenix? It does not appear to be a
> problem in MX4J, as supposedly there the feature works. At least 80% of
> it, the remaining 20% having to do with correct display of constructors
> are a xdoclet problem and a fix has been sent to them.

This is not so much a bug as a feature ;) ie This is not expected to work in
Phoenix as Pheonix does not directly export an object but has to export an
object via a proxy (partially to setup thread context and partially to make
sure the corrent MX interface is exported).

However you can do the equivelent sort of thing in phoenix by adding xdoclet
tags to source file and processing the source files to produce .mxinfo files.
These .mxinfo files will work on all MBean servers and you can see the
documentation at

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix/mx/index.html

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald