From Mike Salisbury <mpsalisb...@yahoo.com>
Subject staged deployment
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:41:45 GMT
Let me start by saying I'm new to Phoenix so there may
well be a better place to get this answered, but I
haven't been able to find it.

I've got a problem with the bootstrapping sequence
used in Phoenix.  There are several layers to my
application, the bottom of which is a message
transport layer.  I want the higher layers to use the
transport layer during their initialization.

My problem is that the transport blocks have not been
completely initialized and started by the time the
next layer tries to initialize itself.  As a
consequence, their initialization fails and nothing at
all runs.  It seems to me that what I need is some
sort of staged deployment, where one layer of blocks
is completely initialized before the next layer is
constructed.  It seems a bit like multiple
applications, except that the higher layers need
access to the lower blocks, and I don't know how to
share blocks across applications.

So is this the wrong way to do things?  Is there a way
to do what I want?  Or should I just look into some
other solution for now?

Thanks.

-- Mike Salisbury