From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix and the Web
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:20:36 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:48, Daniel Krieg wrote:
> The way I tackled this...a bit of a hack perhaps...is to use URLClassLoader
> to create a ClassLoader that points to Catalina's bootstrap.jar which
> contains Catalina's StandardClassLoader, load this class and create an
> instance of it (StandardClassLoader) using reflection, and establish the
> classpaths for this ClassLoader instance.  This seems to be working.

Thats usually the standard way of doing something like this but ...

> How
> does Phoenix's ClassLoader complicate modifying ClassLoader
> hierarchies...what problems should I watch out for?

Essentially the problem occurs when you try to have a Phoenix Block implement
part of Catalinas container. So for example if you wanted to use Cornerstones
SocketManager and expose it in Catalina. The Catalina class would have to
have both the cornerstone/phoenix classes and the catalina classes.

As standard hierarchies only allow one parent this is not possible unless you
expose Cornerstone/Phoenix to all of Catalina (including the webapps).
However the servlet spec requires that webapps should not be able to see the
containers classloader.

Anyways thats why I am working on loader stuff to incorporate into Phoenix.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
'Most men would rather die than think. Many do.'
                             Bertrand Russell