From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging in Phoenix
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:06:10 GMT
Hi Mauro,

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 23:16, Mauro Talevi wrote:
> 1. what is the recommended way of enabling logging in classes that do
> not extend AbstractLogEnabled,
> eg in helper type classes that do not necessarily fit into the Avalon
> framework?

In general it is recomended that anything that we want to log implements
LogEnabled and gets passed a Logger. Alternatively you can pass the Logger
via some other mechanism (like in constructor).

> What if one wishes to not implement
> Contextualizable, ie the helper
> class is part of a different jar and one wants to keep separate from the
> Avalon framework?

Then you need to write a bridge of some sort to this components own logging
mechanism.

> 2. I assume that the default logger is Avalon Logkit.

correct.

> I read it is
> possible to use other loggers, such as log4j or
> JDK1.4, but have not found the information on how to configure Phoenix
> to use these loggers.

At this stage I am not sure how easy it is. I believe you have to write your
own custom LogManager and place it inside the kernel. A few people have done
this but no one has submitted it back to Phoenix.

> 3. logs version 1.1 vs 1.0:  it seems that 1.1 uses the Excalibur Logger
> only for configuration,

Correct. Excalibur Loggers only purpose is to configure a Log system.

> but still uses
> LogKit for logging.  Again, can this configuration be used with other
> loggers, such as log4j?

There is a Log4jLogManager. I haven't used it myself but it should be possible
to set up - though we may need to enhance Phoenixs DefaultLogManager to use
that (possibly version "1.1Log4j" or something.

> Is 1.1 the recommended version?

yep.

> 4. Log4j vs LogKit:  can anybody point me to some documentation (if any)
> that compares the two and
> discusses their merits?  Not very clear to me what one offers over the
> other.

LogKit is smaller, faster and more designed for embedding inside other
toolkits.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald