From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix and the Web
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 05:40:54 GMT
On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 02:23, Daniel Krieg wrote:
> I am currently reworking some of my implementation of CatalinaSevak..  The
> current version skips the Phoenix class loader and goes directly to the
> SystemLoader.  This causes ClassLoader problems when other Blocks in the
> same SAR try to interoperate.  I have modified my approach (use
> PhoenixClassLoader) and seem to be able to create Avalon compliant classes
> to wrap the Catalina implementations.

The problem is that Phoenix ClassLoader system does not allow you to easily
modify ClassLoader hierarchies. I am currently in the process of adding in
support for this and you can see the early documentation at

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/loader/index.html

You may want to look at the sample at

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/loader/sample.html

which actually talks about setting up a ClassLoader hierarchy for a Servlet
Container.

Theres about 2-3 hours work left to finish off the implementation and test
cases. However probably a bit more time to actually document it properly.

Have a look at the web pages and tell me if they help you and if not - what I
need to do to make it easier to use/understand.

>  In doing so, I must delegate the
> lifecycle from one class to another, i.e. CatalinaSevak contains
> CatalinaSevakServer contains CatalinaSevakService, etc.  Is it
> common/accepted to allow this brand of containmnet within Avalon or is it
> discouraged?

I am not actually sure what you mean. Would you be able to point me at a code
snippet.

> Catalina uses the Digester package to parse the server.xml.  The current
> CatalinaSevak implementation has copy/paste code to allow the parsing of
> this file.  I am now reimplementing this aspect and am confident that I
> will be able to use the Configuration class that comes with Avalon (I have
> tested and succeeded with this!) to bootstrap the entire server.

kool!

> This will
> additionally allow me to wrap all Catalina implementation with Avalon.  If
> I am successful, all Blocks within this SAR should be interoperable, right?

I think so ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald