From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Map and Array Dependencies
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 10:27:51 GMT
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 19:57, Leo Simons wrote:
> true. Avalon doesn't offer a convenient way to satisfy all use cases it
> wants to satisfy.

There is no magic bullet and there never will be.

> yup. I don't have a better answer than anyone else to this dilemma. All
> I know is that it would be very nice for me, and I think for many avalon
> users, to have only bugfixes, docs, testing etc for phoenix for like 6
> months or so.

why would we want to hobble Phoenix in that way?

> The answer to questions like the one leading to the changes we're
> talking about now could be "we don't support this directly. Wait until
> phoenix 5 or so or solve at the application level". It's about choosing
> between stability/compatibility and continuous improvement. It seems I'm
> wrong in this particular case, but on a larger scale it is something
> where we need to shift the balance towards stability.

It has already happened. If you have not been taking notice of the commits you
will have missed that this is exactly what is happening. Almost all the work
that is going into Phoenix (and Fortress for that matter) at this stage is
consolidation.

Parts are being extracted and unit tested to a far greater degree than before.
Features that we have been putting off for ages are being added in and unit
tested.

For example we have talked about allowing Map as dependencies since before you
were involved with Avalon - way back when it was just me Berin, Fede and
Stefano. Arrays have been "approved" before but no one ever got around to
implementing them.

The ClassLoader stuff I am implementing atm has been needed for ages and will
allow us to embed Catalina (and/or Jo!) into phoenix cleanly. Something that
has seen some discussion lately on the Phoenix list. It will also allow us to
embed EJBs if one so desires.

After that there will be integration of Installer enhancements (from XML),
then comes Auto-Assembly, factorys that can create Avalon services from
WebServices, exposing kernel components to applications etc.

Finally we will integrate the Info and interceptor architecture combo. This
will allow us to do things that are not possible in any container now
(Avalon, EJB or CORBA) and allow us much more flexibility than ever (and
scarily half the credit for that belongs with Microsoft).

If you think you have something to offer then participate. If you don't want
to see any progress for whatever reason then don't. Simple as that really.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald