From "Daniel Krieg" <dkr...@kc.rr.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix and the Web
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:23:30 GMT
Peter, et.al.,

I am currently reworking some of my implementation of CatalinaSevak..  The
current version skips the Phoenix class loader and goes directly to the
SystemLoader.  This causes ClassLoader problems when other Blocks in the
same SAR try to interoperate.  I have modified my approach (use
PhoenixClassLoader) and seem to be able to create Avalon compliant classes
to wrap the Catalina implementations.  In doing so, I must delegate the
lifecycle from one class to another, i.e. CatalinaSevak contains
CatalinaSevakServer contains CatalinaSevakService, etc.  Is it
common/accepted to allow this brand of containmnet within Avalon or is it
discouraged?

>On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:19, Daniel Krieg wrote:
>> The strategy I took in implementing CatalinaSevak was to try
>> to replicate a standard installation of Catalina so that anyone familiar
>> with Catalina administration would be able to maintain CatalinSevak.  Is
>> this strategy acceptable in the long run with respect to Phoenix or
should
>> this SAR have a separate configuration/administration semantics?

>I think thats the way to go. In the future we may want to integrate them
more
>(or we may not) but it would be best to be able to work of a standard
>Catalina (or Jo or Jetty) because that way we get all the features of the
>servlet engine without trying to figure out a way to have some common
>configuration format or whatever.
>
>--
>Cheers,
>
>Peter Donald
Catalina uses the Digester package to parse the server.xml.  The current
CatalinaSevak implementation has copy/paste code to allow the parsing of
this file.  I am now reimplementing this aspect and am confident that I will
be able to use the Configuration class that comes with Avalon (I have tested
and succeeded with this!) to bootstrap the entire server.  This will
additionally allow me to wrap all Catalina implementation with Avalon.  If I
am successful, all Blocks within this SAR should be interoperable, right?