From "Daniel Krieg" <dkr...@kc.rr.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix and the Web
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:04:25 GMT
Peter,

>> How
>> does Phoenix's ClassLoader complicate modifying ClassLoader
>> hierarchies...what problems should I watch out for?

>Essentially the problem occurs when you try to have a Phoenix Block
implement
>part of Catalinas container. So for example if you wanted to use
Cornerstones
>SocketManager and expose it in Catalina. The Catalina class would have to
>have both the cornerstone/phoenix classes and the catalina classes.
>
>As standard hierarchies only allow one parent this is not possible unless
you
>expose Cornerstone/Phoenix to all of Catalina (including the webapps).
>However the servlet spec requires that webapps should not be able to see
the
>containers classloader.
So, a Web app should not have the Phoenix classloader in its heirarchy?

>Anyways thats why I am working on loader stuff to incorporate into Phoenix.
I looked at you loader stuff...very cool!

I think we need a better specification for Sevak.  What is its purpose?  How
should it interoperate with other apps.  Is it simply about embedding an
existing Servlet Container within Phoenix or is it about creating an
abstract container that can utilize implementations of existing containers?
I think in the long run, we need to define a complete set of services that
establish Sevak as a working interface specification and begin to adapt
existing containers to this specification.

Thoughts?