From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jo! integration questions
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:43:27 GMT
On Friday, September 27, 2002, at 10:26  AM, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Hmm... I want to use Jo! as a webserver for publishing dynamic
> content. The actual content generation is in a .sar-application. I
> want to take advantage of the fact that by using Jo! I don't need to
> invoke a plug-in on the webserver, possibly over a costly TCP
> connection and re-parse the request on the servlet engine side.

That's what we do over here, except we do have that costly TCP
connection. A Cocoon2-based webapp is running inside of Catalina and
communicates via AltRMI to a .sar-app in phoenix on the same host. The
Java RMI -> AltRMI switch saved a couple hundred ms per request (mainly
due to dropping one of the RMI calls, as it was trivial to embed
user-auth information into the AltRMI request).

> I'm not sure what the numbers on the site mean, maybe there should be
> a number for "direct method call" for comparison.

Thats k. The numbers represent how many null method invocations could
be completed in 10 seconds on paul's machine...

java RMI (b) performed 4329 calls..

the intra-JVM bits were all 3x as fast, at least, with the slowest
being 12095 calls (an object stream over a pipe). The one you may want
to look at is the 'Direct Marshalled' variant which did 20759 calls (5x
as fast as RMI), which works with the classloader separation.

If you had the client and server in the same classloader, you get
2,391,498 calls, similar in speed to a dynamic proxy. A vanilla method
call can be run 42,384,804 times, by far the fastest.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org