From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Phoenix and the Web
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:07:24 GMT
Hello folks,

given my recent (unsuccessful) endeavour of getting Jo! to run under Phoenix, I
began to wonder what a connection between Phoenix and the Web could/should look
like. I think it is imperative for a server application framework and an
applicaton server to be able to serve the Web.

Here are some options I can think of:

1) There is a class called PhoenixServlet, but it is labelled as experimental.
It does not seem to do very much either. What is its purpose?

2) Jo! and Sevak can run servlets, but they have no native way to communicate
with other apps (except via AltRMI or similar methods). I don't think it is
possible to persuade the developers of Jo! or Catalina to componentize their
designs to accommodate Avalon/Phoenix. But everything else is just a hack.

3) How about an ajpv12 or ajpv13 component? Maybe the code can be nicked from
Catalina and repackaged as a component. Then every Phoenix app could just use
that component and be fully connected to everyone who supports mod_jk or
mod_jserv (mainly the Apache httpd, but also some other webservers).

4) MX4J already has a HTTPConnector, but it is fairly limited to JMX. But we
just need a way to pass control to an arbitrary app and give back a response,
maybe it can be done with MX4J?

5) Development of a HTTP component. It does not need to be a full-blown
webserver, we just need to speak HTTP. For access control, URL rewriting, error
handling and all those other fancy features we could rely on an external
webserver and assume that he makes sure to forward only "safe and appropriate"
HTTP requests to us for backend processing. Connections have to be limited to
that webserver, though. Most webservers have a way to forward HTTP requests to
another webserver.

Any other ideas/comments? I like option 3) best.

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring