From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Jo! integration questions
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:27:48 GMT
Peter Royal wrote:
> On Friday, September 27, 2002, at 10:26  AM, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
> That's what we do over here, except we do have that costly TCP
> connection. A Cocoon2-based webapp is running inside of Catalina and
> communicates via AltRMI to a .sar-app in phoenix on the same host. The
> Java RMI -> AltRMI switch saved a couple hundred ms per request (mainly
> due to dropping one of the RMI calls, as it was trivial to embed
> user-auth information into the AltRMI request).
>
> Thats k. The numbers represent how many null method invocations could be
> completed in 10 seconds on paul's machine...
>
> java RMI (b) performed 4329 calls..

If Java RMI does 4329 calls per 10 seconds, that equals 432.9 per
second, which means a single request takes a little more than 2 ms to
complete. How could you possibly have saved a couple hundred ms that way? :)

> the intra-JVM bits were all 3x as fast, at least, with the slowest being
> 12095 calls (an object stream over a pipe). The one you may want to look
> at is the 'Direct Marshalled' variant which did 20759 calls (5x as fast
> as RMI), which works with the classloader separation.

I'd be willing to invest 0.48 ms per request :)

Anyway, it's probably got to do with the null method invocation, if we
start to push some real data, we will see much different numbers. Your
application would be a good example, you probably push some XML-file
sized data around, have you made any measurements?

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring