From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [Interceptors] Definition and basic use cases
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:59:47 GMT
I'm looking into the concept of interceptors, and I'm starting to see
the value.

What I regard as interceptors, is similar to what Tomcat calls valves,
that is Components that intercept the call to a Service and can decide
to forward the call, filter it or reply directly; the same happens when
the forwarded call ends.

Now:

  1) where are these defined? Application-wide in the assembly?

  2) how can these be defined? Must they be attatched to a specific
Service compulsory or can they go also with any service invocation?

  3) Interceptors are Components as well; they need to be managed as
other Components, because they will most probably need a Context because
they are stateless. How do I define them in the assembly? Is there a
creation order problem? Dependencies?

  4) Should the Context be the app-defined one? Shall the Context be
created per invocation and used only privately by the interceptors?
Shall it reside inside the app context via a defined key?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -