From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JMX Integration
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 13:10:08 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>>I have 3 issues:
>>1) The ability to add more than one level of hierarchy beneath the blocks.
>>2) Using an interface will make the client code cleaner and more portable.
>>3) Client code will be hooking into this, meaning we are committed to
>>supporting it going forward.
>>
>>I can live with this for now, but i want to consider how it fits into
>>the longer term direction.  What I'd like to do, is add a
>>ManagementContext interface to Framework, and then have SystemManager
>>extend this.  That would be the first step towards making the
>>functionality available in other containers.  Does that sound ok?  If
>>so, how do we proceed in that direction?  If its not too big a deal
>>maybe we could skip this intermediate step?
>>

>I would still prefer to go with the
>
>BlockContext.register( String topic, String name, Object object )
>BlockContext.unregister( String topic, String name )

-1

>The reason is that we have discussed that feature in the past without really
>coming to any conclusion.

Adding behaviour to an context implementation over and above the
framework defintion of context means that you are defining a
specilization of the Avalon Component Model for Phoenix.  Components
that include a dependency on that model are no longer portable.
Alternative solutions to introducing the functionality you are
describing is totally possible without introducing the complication
associated with BlockContext - i..e. use the context object to aquire an
abject implementing the interface the component needs, then apply
register/unregister against that interface, or, havbe the copmponent
declare a depedency on a registery service of some kind.

This was discussed in respect to the shutdown request handler - this
requirement is no different.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell