From Huw Roberts <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JMX Integration
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 16:45:59 GMT
Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> Is this already implemented? If not, do you need any help? In fact,
> something like that is a second item on my todo list, so I am going to
> do it in next couple of weeks anyways.
>
> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 08:07, Huw Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> Everything is ok until we get down to the management of individual jobs
>>> - the rest can be already be done.  So the problem here is how is to
>>> allow blocks to register additional objects for management 'beneath'
>>> them.
>>

>> yep.
>>

>>> Basically, the way I see this working is to have the BlockContext makes
>>> it Management Context (an implementation of the SystemManager interface)
>>> available to Block, and then use that to create a Jobs subcontext:
>>>
>>> SystemManager blockMgmtContext = blockContext.getManagementContext()
>>> SystemManager jobMgmtContext = blockMgmtContext.getSubContext( "Blocks",
>>> "Jobs" );
>>

>> Rather than this I think I may prefer something simpler - at least
>> initially. Something like
>>
>> BlockContext.register( String topic, String name, Object object )
>> BlockContext.unregister( String topic, String name )
>>
>> Job jobOne = ... get the job somehow
>> ctx.register( "jobs", jobOne.getName(), jobOne );
>> ctx.unregister( "jobs", jobOne.getName() );
>>
>> The reason for this is that then we don't have to expose SystemManager
>> to clients and thus we are free to evolve it as we see fit. However it
>> exposes all the information needed to manage object.
>> Like?

I have 3 issues:
1) The ability to add more than one level of hierarchy beneath the blocks.
2) Using an interface will make the client code cleaner and more portable.
3) Client code will be hooking into this, meaning we are committed to
supporting it going forward.

I can live with this for now, but i want to consider how it fits into
the longer term direction.  What I'd like to do, is add a
ManagementContext interface to Framework, and then have SystemManager
extend this.  That would be the first step towards making the
functionality available in other containers.  Does that sound ok?  If
so, how do we proceed in that direction?  If its not too big a deal
maybe we could skip this intermediate step?

- Huw