From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jo! integration questions
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:33:24 GMT
On Friday, September 27, 2002, at 11:27  AM, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> If Java RMI does 4329 calls per 10 seconds, that equals 432.9 per
> second, which means a single request takes a little more than 2 ms to
> complete. How could you possibly have saved a couple hundred ms that
> way? :)

Because I changed a bunch of things at once, and didn't do any
super-formal benchmarking :) There are also multiple rmi invocations
per request (sometimes), so I may have saved up to 10ms in the calls I
removed.

> I'd be willing to invest 0.48 ms per request :)
>
> Anyway, it's probably got to do with the null method invocation, if we
> start to push some real data, we will see much different numbers. Your
> application would be a good example, you probably push some XML-file
> sized data around, have you made any measurements?

I'm pushing mainly hashmaps (aside from Strings and primitives), but
its a nested structure (a container object with a hashmap and then an
array of hashmaps, think parent object and collection of children, but
just a data-extract).

I did some simple, informal speed tests of the system as a whole a few
months back, but the recent push has been on completing functionality,
as it is "fast enough". The average request is still over 1sec tho (not
good enough for me yet), but the main bottleneck is the xslt transforms.

I have on my list to push everything into the same JVM and do proper
benchmarks on that, as we have a customer that will be coming online in
the next few months that has speed requirements in their contract. I'll
be sure to update the list with some numbers once that happens.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org