From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Placement of external libs/programs
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 03:09:29 GMT
On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:46, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
> What would be the best place for external tools in the Phoenix dir
> structure? Now we have most of the stuff in directories under ./lib.
> mx4j is in the root (./) directory and ./tools is almost empty.
>
> I'm asking because I have been testing the Inno-setup tool that
> Nicola-Ken suggested and I'm trying to get it working nicely with the
> build system.

kool.

> If this tool (or some other similar), or actually the setup compiler
> would be included where should it be put? The same goes for the Wrapper
> if that can be included at some point too.

The way I would like to see it laid out is as follows.

Any reliable/stable jars/products should not be stored in CVS but are
downloaded from their download site. MX4J is already downloaded. We should be
downloading Wrapper and requiring it for our build but no ones got around to
that yet.

For things that are only used in building the product we should place them in
tools/ subdirectory. If the jars are part of the server then they should be
placed in the lib/container directory. If the jars are used by hosted
applications aswell as the container they should be put in lib/ directory.

XDoclet is in a separate directory altogether as it has been less stable than
anything else and we need a way to easily upgrade it (Though it looks like
QDox may be a candidate for replacing xdoclet).

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald