From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JMX Integration
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:59:44 GMT
Hiya,

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:37, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> Hmm, I think I am starting to understand what I wanted to ask. ;-) I
> already have block factories which could be used as a generic way to use
> external services in phoenix application. My question -- do we need
> another solution which is optimized/simplified for a case when both
> phoenix application and "external" service live inside same java VM?

I have come across three different types of service "exporting".

* The first type will export to a directory of sorts  (ie JMX, RMI Registry,
JNDI or whatever). The container can export/unexport at will without caring
about who is using exported services.
* the second case is where it is exporting to another component that container
controls. In which case the container needs to make sure they shutdown all
consumers before they shutdown the actuall provider components
* The last type is tricky. It exports to another component where this
component is not controlled by our container. In this case we need to allow
the consumer the option to listen to events about a providers shutdown. They
may also be given the opportunity to veto the shutdown. The Consumer also
needs a mechanism to "releasE" the provider when they are done with it.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald