From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Documentation stuff
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:18:18 GMT
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:13, David Weitzman wrote:
> The general presentation and organization of the phoenix guide could use
> some refactoring and focus.

I agree. I actually got that complain twice last week ;) Some people
recomended we break it down similar to how Tomcat does it. ie Have HOWTOs for
each major feature. I think we would still need to separate between developer
HOWTOs and Admin HOWTOs but it could work.

> I think a single extended example would be
> more useful than the non-linearly ordered collection of seperate topics
> that currently exists.  The flow of application creation might be better
> expressed by showing the development of an application through each of the
> stages in order:
>
> Block development -> Assembly -> Deploy -> Simple Administration (start and
> stop) -> go back and add JMX support to the block -> Administration through
> JMX.

That would be fantastic. I started this in the past but have never been able
to get it down on the computer. I actually have about 90 pages of doublsided
A4 written up for just this but I have had them sitting in the corner for
over a year ;(

If you could make a start on this it would be great !

> Making the example downloadable would be friendly, but then you begin to
> cross over with the avalon-apps stuff.  Maybe also a downloadable template
> project (ant, empty block, empty config files).

> Also:
>
> In the admin docs I forgot to mention the xdoclet stuff for exposing MBeans
> to Phoenix.  Plus there's already a Management Guide.  There shouldn't be
> more than one version of the JMX information.

right ;)

> Also:
>
> index.xml links to guide-administrators.html when it should like to
> guide-administrator.html

this has been fixed in the release branch.

> Also:
>
> Perhaps provide for developers brief overviews of all the stuff in the
> phoenix.interfaces package.

Yep. We should probably javadoc these better and add more to package.html

> Now I must go fill out forms :(

:/

--
Cheers,