From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Would a shutdown script be useful?
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:48:03 GMT
On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:30, David W. wrote:
> Currently you can tell Phoenix to shutdown by sending an interrupt signal
> in whatever way your operating system supports.  A shutdown script isn't
> really necessary.  Some users might find it more comfortable, though.
> After all, that 'JVM has been abnormally terminated' message doesn't quite
> leave a warm fuzzy feeling -- but that's another topic.
>
> And once you've implemented a shutdown script, you might as well stick on a
> restart script.
>
> Do -shutdown and -restart belong as switches in CLIMain?

For unix there is already such functionality (try phoenix.sh
[start|stop|restart|status]) and for windows you need to use the wrapper
toolkit (wrapper.sourceforge.net) to get the equivelent behaviour.

Another way we have discussed is something like the following. We keep a magic
"cookie" file in somewhere like $PHOENIX_HOME/conf/cookie - this would be
used to do a simple digest or symetric encryption of a message that can be
sent to the server. So we could tell the server to shut itself down by
launching a client and sending this message.

The resuslt is that any one with permission to read the file
$PHOENIX_HOME/conf/cookie has permission to shutdown the server. It is thus
reasonable safe without being too painful to work with.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald