From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: More configurable SystemManager.
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:32:57 GMT
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:04, David W. wrote:
> I'd be content, in the short term at least, to see more descriptive
> versions of the same thing (i.e. instead of
> <manager-adaptor-port>number</...> to configure the http adaptor,
> <http-adaptor><port>number</port></...>) until JMX configuration
is given
> full consideration.

If you could spec it out fully then I can do that. I just updated the
kernel.xml to show all permutations possible. So if you could show me what
you would change then that would be great.

> Thought 1)
>
> Services like the HTTP and RMI are not directly dependant on SystemManager,
> nor vice versa.  The need for them to be associated is that there is no
> other way to register MBeans at the moment.

yep. Long term we have always wanted the adaptors to be contained within .sar
files and loaded like any other application. We have just never gotten around
to enabling it ;)

> Thought 3)
>
> Since the <mbean> format already exists and can be implemented without
> relying on any particular JMX vendor, directly using DOM would make an
> implementation reusable outside of Avalon (which may not matter).

yep.

> Thought 4)
>
> Phoenix does not currently provide a configuration method that allows the
> user to execute/make available arbitrary JMX-compliant beans. That is
> precisely the problem that the <mbean> format is designed to solve.  That
> format is actually directly competing with Phoenix's own methods of
> configuration, just without inherent support for features like the Avalon
> lifecycle (which could easily be made available).  It is a separate and
> complete solution -- why make it dependant on Phoenix configuration files?

Not sure what you mean. In the future it will hopefully be possible to
integrate into other systems much easier. This includes being able to process
these mbean files.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald