From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Management MBean Interfaces - Stay or go?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 06:06:44 GMT
At 09:35 PM 8/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>There are two ways to expose management information now:
>
>1) use the phoenix-mx tags to markup blocks/apps/components as
>management-enabled and then specify the methods and attributes to export
>2) have the class implement a management interface (usually called
>*MBean), and pass that into the export() method
>
>Method 2) is supported, but at least in my opinion, no longer the best way
>to go.  Can I remove them and then mark-up the base classes with the
>management info?  Or will that break a lot of code?

Are you talking about internal phoenix components or blocks hosted by
Phoenix? If it is internal phoenix components then go for it. However if
you are talking about blocks then I would not like to see raw interfaces
become unsupported.

The main reason they were added was to allow users to do something like the
following;

MBeanServer mBeanServer = ....;
ObjectName name = ...;

FooMBean foo = (FooMBean)MBeanProxy.lookup( name, mBeanServer,
FooMBean.class );

foo.doStuff()
foo.getValue()

etc.

They could treat the managed objects as normal objects rather than going
directly through MBeanServer. So I would like to see them still supported.

However if you want to make some of the apps/components hosted in avalon
use this style then go for it. FWIW many other projects actually
dynamically generate the FooMBean interface from xdoclet like decorations
so that may be a long term direction.

Personally I would prefer to keep management stuff isolated to MBean
interfaces and or proxies when/if you implement that but up to you.

However I would prefer to keep the ability to manage via interfaces (and
corresponding entrys in .xinfo files).

Thoughts?