From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Programatic Shutdown of Phoenix
Date Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:33:52 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:22, Peter Donald wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:27, Jim Alateras wrote:
>>
>>>Is there also a way to stop phoenix programmatically? Could i retrieve a
>>>reference to the Embeddor, from  the ComponentManager, and call shutdown.
>>
>>Well you *can* locate MBeanServer (either via RMI or programatically), then
>>locate the embeddor and request its shutdown. However that is potentially
>>ugly code and brittle to boot (especially with JMX namespaces not fixed
>>just yet).
>>
>>However give me an hour or so and I will add a method
>>
>>BlockContext.requestShutdown()
>>
>>This will allow the Block to request the shutdown of its own application.
>>The application will then shutdown. If there are 0 applications left in
>>kernel and the "persitent" flag has not been set this will cause the kernel
>>to shutdown. That work for you?
>

> done.
>
> Everyone else, I have gone and implemtented BlockContext.requestShutdown() so
> that Blocks can shutdown their application (and their kernel if only app in
> kernel). Could some one give it a bit of a good test drive. It seems to work
> fine here ...

-1

BlockContext is currently a convinience wrapper to a set of keyed
context objects.  It is completely within the contract of a component to
access the supplied context via keys as distinct from narrowing to the
BlockContext interface.  The introduction of a method with behaviour in
context is inconsitent with the context contract and breaks
interoperability with other containers capable of managing pure context
arguments.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell