From Alexis Agahi <a...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: three improvements to avalon/phoenix
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:48:03 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:46, Alexis Agahi wrote:
>
>>Why not using Web Services Description Language?
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl
>>with
>>WSDL4J http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/wsdl4j/
>>provided by http://xml.apache.org/axis/index.html
>>
>>And FYI
>>Web Services Invocation Framework
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/java/readme.htm?
>>rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html Web Services Inspection Language
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsil/java/README.htm
>

> I acturally read through some of this and it looks neat. I was not aware that
> a "web service" could actually be a CORBA/DCOM/RMI call and not SOAP. From my
> reading of things you could "theoretically" define any distributed service
> using WSDL. Is this correct?
>
> Essentially there is messages (either requests or responses) and ports
> (methods/procedures/access points). These calls are made via an underlying
> framework, in Axises case it is via a call router?
>
> The one restriction being that it does not allow any "context" information if
> understand it correctly ? (ie security/transaction attributes that are common
> in other remoting frameworks).

Just FYI (but this could be offtopic here), I just notice that
Web Service Choreography Interface (WSCI) has been submitted to W3C.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-wsci-20020808/

"WSCI describes how Web Service operations – such as those
defined by WSDL [WSDL]– can be choreographed in the context of a
message exchange in which the Web Service participates.
Interactions between services – either in a business context or
not – always follow and implement choreographed message exchanges
(processes). WSCI is the first step towards enabling the mapping
of services as components realizing those processes.
WSCI also describes how the choreography of these operations
should expose relevant information, such as message correlation,
exception handling, transaction description and dynamic
participation capabilities."