From Alexis Agahi <a...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: three improvements to avalon/phoenix
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:56:41 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:46, Alexis Agahi wrote:
>
>>Why not using Web Services Description Language?
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl
>>with
>>WSDL4J http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/wsdl4j/
>>provided by http://xml.apache.org/axis/index.html
>>
>>And FYI
>>Web Services Invocation Framework
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/java/readme.htm?
>>rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html Web Services Inspection Language
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsil/java/README.htm
>

> I acturally read through some of this and it looks neat. I was not aware that
> a "web service" could actually be a CORBA/DCOM/RMI call and not SOAP. From my
> reading of things you could "theoretically" define any distributed service
> using WSDL. Is this correct?

"Theoretically" yes ;)
see http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-05-2002/jw-0524-wsdl_p.html

> Essentially there is messages (either requests or responses) and ports
> (methods/procedures/access points). These calls are made via an underlying
> framework, in Axises case it is via a call router?

Currently I did not checkout Axis project, I'm just using Apache
SOAP. I'll certainly take look at Axis soon (when WSIF will be
integrated), probably next stable release.

> The one restriction being that it does not allow any "context" information if
> understand it correctly ? (ie security/transaction attributes that are common
> in other remoting frameworks).

Transaction can not be declared via Web services.
http://www.webservices.org/index.php/article/articleprint/108/-1/30/

BTP, XLANG, are trying to fill the gap.

> Anyways that would definetly be a good way to represent a webservice service
> however the one thing it does not define is how to bind it to a language
> however we could easily add that on top or leave it up to the factory to
> perform specific binding.

I guess so, but I've not your experience on the subject ;)

Some application such as Weblogic generate automatically
generates WSDL from the class. Maybe that could be a way?