From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WinCVS GPL and Merlin
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:22:26 GMT

Shekhar Jha wrote:

>If I understand correctly currently Merlin does not provide any source code
>release. I am a windows guy and was thinking about using WinCVS. But I noticed
>that it is distributed under GPL.
>Does that mean that if I make any changes to Merlin I need to release under
>GPL. Because I think I read some where that GNUCC and others were released
>under LGPL to solve the same issue.
>Is there any fault in my understanding. If not would it be a big deal to
>release merlin source code directly from OSM or via Jakarta.

For the moment the Merlin sources require that you check out a number of
projects from Jakarta CVS.  In the future I would like to see a much
easier build procedure that limits the checkout to the Merlin
subproject.  Binary releases will also be made avaialble as soon as we
have a release in place.

Here is a summary of what you need to do checkout and build Merlin:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102989442216031&w=2

Cheers, Steve.

>Shekhar
>

>--