From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Features for next Phoenix Beta.
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:31:02 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'd like to push the Phoenix release schedule.  As part of that what
> work would people like to do before we release the next beta?  What
> timescales are people hoping to do work in?

Two critical release features are:

  1) a standard manfest block declaration format

     - Merlin has been updated to support an Avalon
       entry which looks like the following:

         Name: org/apache/excalibur/playground/SimpleComponent.class
         Avalon: Type

     - This approach allows the addition of block
       delcarations such as the following to exist along side
       type declaration:

         Name: org/apache/excalibur/playground/SimpleBlock.class
         Avalon: Block

  2) support within Phoenix for a standard meta-info DTD - there are
     at least two if not three DTDs floating around:

     - blockinfo DTD
         * Merlin 2.0 will support this
         * Phoenix already supports this
     - componentinfo DTD
         * status unknown
     - Avalon Type DTD
         * includes lifecycle extension meta (Merlin/Fortress requirement)
         * fully implemented in Merlin

     Independently of question concerning meta-models, we must at least
     ensure that Phoenix provides support for Type DTD in order to ensure
     interoperability.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell