From Alexis Agahi <a...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: Problems testing Phoenix prior to beta.
Date Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:05:38 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am having trouble proving that the JMX facility in latest Phoenix
> works with the demo app ( avalon-demo.sar ).
>
> Basically I just cannot see the management page for the HelloWorld
> block.  I have seen JMX working elsewhere (work), but cannot for the
> HelloWorld block which is our JMX showcase  Could someone confirm to me
> that there is nothing wrong as I think I would be foolish to see a
> release when I cannot see the management page with the setGreeting()
> method.

Ok I've found what is wrong.

In the conf/kernel.xml (when building phoenix from scratch)
there is 2 declarations of
<component
role="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.SystemManager" ...>

And the first one is just before the comment
"There is one JMX MBeanServer infrastructure...3
with
class="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.NoopSystemManager"

So all the phoenix managed beans were registred thru the
NoopSystemManager...

You just have to remove this part to get it working perfectly ;)

NOW I can SEE the phoenix mbean in the management interface.

--------
Here is a sample of my conf.
--

<!--
         <component
role="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.SystemManager"

class="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.NoopSystemManager"
             logger="manager"></component>
-->
         <!-- There is one JMX MBeanServer infrastructure currently
              supported by Avalon, namely MX4J. Previously the JMX RI
              was supported but due to severe bugs and lack of
implementation
              of certain features (such as ModelMBeans), support
has been
              dropped for the JMX RI implementation.

             The MX4J manager using the MX4J adapter devewloped
at SourceForge
             See http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/ -

org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager

             There is an impl of system manager that does nothing
and it is....

org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.NoopSystemManager

             Alternatively, you could comment the whole
SystemManager section out.
         -->

         <component
role="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.SystemManager"

class="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager"
             logger="manager" >
           <manager-adaptor-port>8082</manager-adaptor-port>
           <enable-rmi-adaptor>false</enable-rmi-adaptor>
           <stylesheets-dir>conf/xsl</stylesheets-dir>
         </component>