From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: MX4J
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2002 18:23:13 GMT
Peter,

>>I am not sure they have permission to fork or clean-room
>>reverse-engineer Sun's JMX source :
>>

>>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mx4j/mx4j/src/core/javax/man
>>agement/
>>
>>I am not sure we have the right to include their compiled JMX API jar in
>>our CVS lib directory.
>>
>>Advice..?
>>

>Currently it is no different than servlet/xml apis that apache implements as I
>don't think any of them are legal yet. I believe Apache was going to be
>granted permission to implement a bunch of APIs like servlet, and xml ones.
>Not sure it has been actioned yet. However JMX is not part of blessed apis so
>it wont be "legal" even then. However TC relies on it so I expect it will be
>in future. I would put it in but up to you ;)

That is kinda my impression too.  Should I make an approach to the MX4J
team and mention this?  One always risks flaming for this, but I feel we
should given them a heads up.

The ideal world is that they are dependant on the real JMX API and have
their own impl.  There could, however, be a compelling reason as to why
they have essentially forked the API.

- Paul