From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: three improvements to avalon/phoenix
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:45:27 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:46, Alexis Agahi wrote:
> Why not using Web Services Description Language?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl
> with
> WSDL4J http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/wsdl4j/
> provided by http://xml.apache.org/axis/index.html
>
> And FYI
> Web Services Invocation Framework
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/java/readme.htm?
>rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html Web Services Inspection Language
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsil/java/README.htm

I acturally read through some of this and it looks neat. I was not aware that
a "web service" could actually be a CORBA/DCOM/RMI call and not SOAP. From my
reading of things you could "theoretically" define any distributed service
using WSDL. Is this correct?

Essentially there is messages (either requests or responses) and ports
(methods/procedures/access points). These calls are made via an underlying
framework, in Axises case it is via a call router?

The one restriction being that it does not allow any "context" information if
understand it correctly ? (ie security/transaction attributes that are common
in other remoting frameworks).

Anyways that would definetly be a good way to represent a webservice service
however the one thing it does not define is how to bind it to a language
however we could easily add that on top or leave it up to the factory to
perform specific binding.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald