From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New DefaultKernel parameter
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2002 23:43:52 GMT
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 23:05, Peter Royal wrote:
> > However for backwards compatability we include a flag "quickdeploy" (or
> > something) that will automatically start an app when it is deployed
> > (effectively skippin [2]).
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I like the "start phoenix and start all apps behavior". I only need what
> you describe above for the very first installation of our application.
> Subsequent installations (upgrades) should just run the app if possible.
> (So when our users inevitable restart their win32 servers, when the phoenix
> service starts back up it will restart the app w/o manual intervention).

Perhaps an idea we can kick about is adding a section like the following into
the SAR-INF/environment.xml file.

<install>
  <start-on-install>false</start-on-install>
  <!--
    Insert other funky commands that only happen
    on install.
   -->
</install>

Then this section would be used only when you install app.

> The ideal solution (in my eyes) would be to gather/validate all the
> configuration information for an application before starting any blocks.

thats a good idea.

> That way any errors could be detected before the app is started.
> Unfortunately this does not mesh will with how Phoenix loads an app
> currently, as it only attempt to retrieve configuration information if a
> block implements Configurable. Perhaps we could augment the .xinfo document
> to include whether or not a block has config?

We could do that - or maybe just indicate which blocks have schemas to
validate against. Not sure - I will have to have a look at the code again ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald