From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MX4J
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:50:27 GMT
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:32, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter,
>
> >>Given we have narrowed to a single JMX implementation (for now at
> >>least), could we include it in our lib/ CVS dir?
> >
> >If you want. I prefer to keep it separate but this is the third request to
> > add it in to CVS that I have got in last week so ... go ahead ;)
>
> I am not sure they have permission to fork or clean-room
> reverse-engineer Sun's JMX source :
>

> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mx4j/mx4j/src/core/javax/man
>agement/
>
> I am not sure we have the right to include their compiled JMX API jar in
> our CVS lib directory.
>
> Advice..?

Currently it is no different than servlet/xml apis that apache implements as I
don't think any of them are legal yet. I believe Apache was going to be
granted permission to implement a bunch of APIs like servlet, and xml ones.
Not sure it has been actioned yet. However JMX is not part of blessed apis so
it wont be "legal" even then. However TC relies on it so I expect it will be
in future. I would put it in but up to you ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we
cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our
responsibilities." -Josiah Stamp