From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New DefaultKernel parameter
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2002 07:29:38 GMT
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 01:20, Peter Royal wrote:
> I added a (awkwardly named) new parameter to the DefaultKernel,
> add-invalid-applications
>
> Giving this element a value of true will cause applications that fail to
> start() to still be added to phoenix. Why is this useful? Say you have a
> SAR with incomplete config info (and you know this because you validated it
> against your schemas), the app can be installed into phoenix but not
> started and you can they use Phyre to fix the config (and save the missing
> bits on disk with the FileSystemPersistentConfigurationRepository) and then
> start the app back up :)

It may be better to do it slightly differently.
1. Deploy/install app
2. Configure app if necessary
3. Manually Start App

The difference being that you wont try to start an application and fail. I am
nervous about that as some blocks may have unintended sideeffects even when
they fail.

However for backwards compatability we include a flag "quickdeploy" (or
something) that will automatically start an app when it is deployed
(effectively skippin [2]).

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
The phrase "computer literate user" really means the person
has been hurt so many times that the scar tissue is thick
enough so he no longer feels the pain.
   -- Alan Cooper, The Inmates are Running the Asylum