From Huw Roberts <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems testing Phoenix prior to beta.
Date Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:49:38 GMT
Hi Alexis, you wrote on 8/10/02 7:05:38 AM:

>Paul Hammant wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am having trouble proving that the JMX facility in latest Phoenix
>> works with the demo app ( avalon-demo.sar ).
>>
>> Basically I just cannot see the management page for the HelloWorld
>> block.  I have seen JMX working elsewhere (work), but cannot for the
>> HelloWorld block which is our JMX showcase  Could someone confirm to me
>> that there is nothing wrong as I think I would be foolish to see a
>> release when I cannot see the management page with the setGreeting()
>> method.
>

>Ok I've found what is wrong.
>
>In the conf/kernel.xml (when building phoenix from scratch)
>there is 2 declarations of
><component
>role="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.SystemManager" ...>
>
>And the first one is just before the comment
>"There is one JMX MBeanServer infrastructure...3
>with
>class="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.NoopSystemManager"
>
>So all the phoenix managed beans were registred thru the
>NoopSystemManager...
>
>You just have to remove this part to get it working perfectly ;)
>
>NOW I can SEE the phoenix mbean in the management interface.

Good catch!  Of course now you point it out its painfully obvious.

I was very sloppy when i did the editing to take out that line and test - somehow i cleaned
up the conf file a little bit without realizing it.

Now i can reproduce the problem and then fix it by making the change you outline.

Hopefully this is the only problem, and management is out of the way for the release.

- Huw